Confession time: I am totally obsessed with this season of “The Bachelorette.” I mean, I’ve watched just about every season of “The Bachelor” franchise, sometimes begrudgingly, often because I have nothing better to do on a Monday night, but this season I am watching because I’m actually riveted by it (even without my pre-pregnancy bottle o’ wine for added fun). One thing that was not so riveting though was the conversation between Ryan and Ashley on their first one-on-one date in last night’s episode. When Ryan asked Ashley what she did for the environment and she confessed she was a planet-hater (Well, she said she threw plastic away in the regular trash, anyway. Same thing.), Ryan then broke into long speech about the horrors of hot water tanks (Skip ahead to about 5:40 in the clip above). Sexy! A few minutes after the conversation ended, Ashley sent Ryan packing, telling him she “just wasn’t feeling it.” And then Ryan, in his post-rejection testimonial wailed into the camera: “I just want someone I can love unconditionally!”
Oh, Ryan, you shoulda stuck to safe topics, like wine and how nice Ashley’s eyes are. After the jump, 15 other topics people should avoid on a first date if they want to be kept around for another.
1. Awards you won elementary school (too pitiful).
2. How many pull-ups you did at the gym today (too desperate).
3. Favorite hemorrhoid remedies.
4. Your ex.
5. How good the chick at the next table looks.
6. Why Valentine’s Day sucks (too loaded).
7. How angry you are with your parents.
8. How you lost your virginity.
9. Favorite chess moves.
10. Your termite problem.
11. Insights from your therapist.
12. Insights from your dental hygienist.
13. How great your tan looks.
14. How insecure you are about your overbite.
15. Scenes from The Bachelor/ette.
What are some first date topics that have left you less than enthused?