Mending a broken heart can be such an ordeal — such a process. It can take so long, sometimes it’s easy to convince ourselves we’re over him just so we can start to feel better. Of course, the sad irony is that pretending we’re over him — over the broken heart — before we are, just makes the process of truly moving on that much longer. After the jump, 15 signs your broken heart hasn’t healed quite yet.
1. You keep remembering things you may have left at his place, like a few bobby pins or last year’s Anthropologie spring catalog and wonder if you should drop by and see if he still has them.
2. You consider it progress when you change your screen-saver from a picture of him to a picture of his cat.
3. You suddenly remember he’s listed as your emergency contact in your HR file at work, but you decide to leave it anyway.
4. You can’t bring yourself to erase the last voice mail message he left on your phone before you broke up even though all he says in it is that they didn’t have “Inception” at the video store and was there something else you wanted to watch.
5. You find an old shirt of his while organizing your closet and compliment yourself on not sleeping in it, but calling him instead to let him know you’ve found it if he wants it back.
6. You go on a huge cleaning binge, get your hair done and buy a new outfit in case he happens to drop by for the shirt.
7. You don’t hear from him about the shirt, so you email him in case he didn’t get your voice mail.
8. A few days later, you can’t believe he hasn’t gotten back to you, not even to thank you for letting him know about his shirt, so you send him another email and tell him you’ve taken his shirt to Goodwill and if he wants it back he’ll have to just figure out which Goodwill it’s at and pay for it again — if he can even find it.
9. You suddenly remember this is the exact time of year he goes on his annual retreat upstate where he disconnects phone and internet for a week to concentrate on “fueling his spirit.”
10. You quickly send off another email to him apologizing for giving his shirt away and offering to buy him a new one if he wants. You add a P.S. at the end: “Hope your spirit is feel full!!”
11. You kick yourself for the typo in your P.S. and vow never ever to email him again.
13. You call your best friend and tell her you’re so totally over him and you’re ready to go out and meet someone new! Someone completely different from your ex because you don’t even know what you ever saw in him. I mean, an annual retreat to “refuel his spirit”?! Please!
14. You see the words “How to Get Him Back” on the cover of Cosmo in line at the grocery store and you buy a copy, even though you’re a 32 year-old lawyer who couldn’t name two of the “Sex and the City” girls if your life depended on it.
15. You start watching “Sex and the City” for the first time in your life and you related to all the characters.