In light of recent columns, I thought this column from way back in 2011 deserved a re-post. It was written by a guest contributor, Hannah Ehrig, a freelance journalist who was married a few weeks after this originally ran.
After countless hours of wedding preparation consisting of watching Bridezillas, My Fair Wedding and Four Weddings and helping friends plan their own nuptials, I have seen some things, including a lot of questionable behavior from the brides. Why do women think that because they are getting married they can treat others without respect or common courtesy? And how do you know when you are crossing the line? Here is a list of 15 ways to tell if you are turning into a bridezilla!
1. You throw your best friend a birthday party…and invite your caterer, coordinator, and photographer so they know your “party style.”
2. You yell at your flower girl for tripping and ruining the rehearsal…even though she’s three.
3. You call in sick for work for wedding beauty treatments…twice a month for the entire year of planning.
4. You decide on a dress well above your budget…because Mom and Dad can afford it, right? After all, they don’t have another daughter like you.
5. Your bridesmaid picks up the white roses you ordered and you realize they are more eggshell than pure white, so you demand your money back.
6. You realize everything in your wedding is too eggshell v. pure white and throw a fit.
7. You “fire” your MOH because she has to leave your bachelorette party early to go to work.
8. You tell your nephew he can no longer be your ring bearer because he lost his first tooth and will ruin the photos.
9. Your groom asks for one layer of a certain cake flavor and you say no because it doesn’t go with your theme.
10. You upgrade your engagement ring a week before your wedding because you found out a married friend’s ring cost more than yours.
11. You are newly engaged and just set your wedding date a week before that of your best friend, who has been engaged for a year, because you have to be the first one to get married.
12. One month before your wedding you tell the girl you asked to be your bridesmaid when you first got engaged that she is not invited to your wedding at all because you invited too many people.
13. Your fiancé’s ringtone for you is the Godzilla theme.
14. When your fiancé gives you wedding input, you make sure that King Wrong knows whose day it really is.
15. You start to walk a little more slowly and feel like something is dragging you down. When you look down, your feet have become green and scaley and you have a tail. You are turning into a full-fledged monster!