I started Dear Wendy in January of this year with a couple of goals in mind. The first was to create a space where people could get advice, support, community engagement, and entertainment. The second goal — a more personal one — was to create a job for myself where I could do something I love and eventually be able to financially contribute to my household while having the flexibility to work at home and raise my future child(ren). After less than eight months, I’ve reached some of those goals already and am on my way to reaching the others, and for that I have you to thank. Thank you for your letters of encouragement, your comments, your constructive criticism, your behind-the-scenes tech help, your guest columns, your His Take contributions, your relationship questions, your post-advice updates, and for being part of the DW community.
Because of you, traffic has exceeded my expectations at this point in the game, and I’m already beginning to make a (small) profit. But as I gear up to have a baby (five and half more weeks!), and look forward to taking some time off to adjust to new motherhood, I need to keep up the momentum and continue pushing the site forward. And you can help! Here are seven ways you can support Dear Wendy:
1. I just added a “Support Dear Wendy” button, a virtual tip jar, at the top of the right sidebar. If you’re a fan of the site, consider donating a few bucks to show your love. Money will go towards hosting fees, my photo budget, future re-designs, advertising costs and Tootsie Rolls for me.
2. Link to the site in your blogroll. Increasing the number of incoming links that Dear Wendy gets makes it more attractive to potential advertisers.
3. Spread the word: “Like” posts on Facebook, share links on Twitter, and tell your friends to check out Dear Wendy.
4. Visit and make a purchase from my affiliates.
5. Submit a pitch for an essay, article, or fun list to publish while I’m taking time with the new baby (I have enough guest columnist submissions now, thank you.).
6. Send me links of relationship-themed articles or funny videos you find around the web so that I can share them on the site.
7. Keep being awesome.