The House version of the American Health Care Act (AHCA), Republicans’ Affordable Care Act repeal plan is disgusting, cruel, and stupid. Besides rolling back Medicaid and giving huge tax breaks to the rich at the expense of basic health care for the poor, threatening insurance protection for people with preexisting conditions, it plans to stop federal funding for Planned Parenthood. The Hyde Amendment of 1976 already prohibits allocation of federal dollars to abortion care, so cutting federal funding to PP instead cuts funding for family planning services, cancer screenings, Pap smears, and STD testing. Without PP, 2.5 million women would lose their primary health care provider. (It should be noted that the AHCA was drafted by 13 asshole men and not a single woman.)
Here’s what you can do to stop this travesty from passing:
Sign Up to Phone Bank other PP Supporters. Stop the Senate.
This is it. The Senate will vote any day on the deadly bill to “defund” Planned Parenthood and strip 23 million people of access to health care.
Lives are on the line — so we need Defenders to call other Planned Parenthood supporters in key swing states to ask them to call their senator and tell them to stop this bill.
Why a phone bank? We know it works.
We’re only calling people we know stand with Planned Parenthood, and we know a massive wave of calls is the only way to pressure these senators to do the right thing.
Here’s how it will work:
1. You’ll need your own phone, computer, and reliable Internet connection.
2. Sign up for a phone bank shift — or two or three! — with the form here.
3. On the day you’ve signed up, we’ll text you a link to the training, along with all the instructions you need to rock your phone bank.
4. On the training you’ll learn how to be a star phone banker. Plus, folks will be standing by on email and text to help with any technical bumps you might have.
5. Dial, dial, dial! You’ll call people one at a time and read from a short script we’ll provide. And not to worry — everyone you’re calling is with us on the issue, so you won’t need to convince any haters or naysayers why this is so important.
6. After your shift, we’ll gather back to debrief and find out how your calls went.
7. And that’s how we win!
We’ll say it again: You’ll be using your own phone and computer. We make the rest easy — and you fill in the people power.
Please fill out the whole form here so we can best support you during the phone bank.