Dear Wendy
Dear Wendy

6.5 years, need advice and thoughts!

Home Forums Get Advice, Give Advice 6.5 years, need advice and thoughts!

This topic contains 120 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by avatar HannaMarin 3 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 97 through 108 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    janedoe

Kate, no I don’t want to get a lawyer involved just yet. I just spoke to the title office. They sent me a quit claim that needs to be notarized listing us as joint tenants, not as tenants in common. I can pay any notary to come to our house or his work to notarize and I will take it to their office with $7.00 once it is done. Not sure if there is a processing time or anything but this is much more simple than I thought.

#853750 Reply
    Kate
    Keymaster

Ok, but you know that consulting a lawyer just for advice on how to proceed is not the same as involving a lawyer. Your boyfriend would not need to know that you sought advice.

#853751 Reply

No, you are not just a tenant. You co-own the house! Your name needs to be added to the deed. (ETA: I know nothing about quitclaims.)

Please consult a lawyer. That doesn’t mean you have to start legal proceedings. It just means you’re taking care of what you are owed. Your name needs to be added to the deed.

Your name also needs to be added to the mortgage, right? Unfortunately, he will probably have to get his ass in gear to get some of this rolling.

#853752 Reply
    Kate
    Keymaster

Are you sure that this quit claim for joint tenancy is the same as having your name on the deed as co-owner?

#853753 Reply
    janedoe

I asked the gal at the title office exactly what this document does. She said it will not add me to the mortgage loan, but it will add me as an owner on the title for the house, jointly with him.

“When executed and notarized, the quitclaim deed legally overrides the current deed to your home. By filing the quitclaim deed, you can add someone to the title of your home, in effect transferring a share of ownership.”

Also, by recognizing that we are filing as joint tenants, not tenants in common, we have the right of survivorship if one of us were to pass away. Which she explained to me as this: “joint tenancy pertains to a home ownership in which each party is on the home title and has equal interest in the property. An example of a joint tenancy is the ownership over a house by a married couple. In this situation, each of the spouses have equal share and interest over the house. In case of divorce, each spouse may sell his or her share in the property. Once there is a sale, the joint tenancy becomes tenancy in common.Tenancy in common, on the other hand, refers to ownership over a certain property by two individuals without any right of survivorship.”

#853754 Reply
    Kate
    Keymaster

I’m not a lawyer, but that sounds right. Let us know if he signs it. If he doesn’t, you must find a real estate lawyer to consult with.

#853755 Reply
    janedoe

I will. Thank you.

#853759 Reply
    Part-time Lurker

Jane, I don’t want to sound like an alarmist (I’m just one of those people who tries to plan for every possible outcome – occupational hazard), but if I were you, I would put a small overnight bag in the car along with any important documents before you approach him with the notary. It may sound like a crazy idea, but the truth is, you have no idea how he will react and to be honest once he’s pushed into a corner the situation could become…..volatile. Protect yourself. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. I think you probably have some inner spunk. Channel it. You’ve got this.

#853760 Reply
    CurlyQue
    CurlyQue
    Participant

Good luck!!!!!!! Also some (all?) local banks have notaries if that’s an easier stop than the title office. Also, also mobile notaries are indeed a thing, just google mobile notary and your city for a list of options.

#853761 Reply
    ktfran
    Participant

If you or you boyfriend work in an office setting, there might be a notary there as well. I work in consulting and every office I’ve worked in has had at least one notary, usually two.

#853762 Reply
    janedoe

My good friend is an accountant and notary, I called her and she said she can do it sometime next week as a home call. And yes, part-time lurker, I keep digital logs of everything on my personal computer which goes to and from work with me every day. I work in an office so I love spreadsheets and am very organized with my finances and data entry. I always kept the house expenses logged out of curiosity as to how much we are putting into the house vs. how much the appraisal spikes when we renovate. Never thought I’d actually need it lol

#853763 Reply
    ktfran
    Participant

I mean really, all you need is your notary stamp. It’s so effing easy.

Viewing 12 posts - 97 through 108 (of 121 total)
Reply To: 6.5 years, need advice and thoughts!
Your information: